Thursday, March 17, 2011

BLOG # 3, I WAS SOOO SCARED!

                           For a long time I used to believe that a lot of myths were real.
One myth however, really scared the shit out of me. It all started, maybe I would say 15 years ago; when the horror movie "Candyman" was released into the movie Theatres. The story is about a black slave whowas having a intimate relationship with his white slave owner's daughter. When the relationship was found out by fellow slaves, it was reported to the slave owner. The Slave Owner found the black slave and tortured him. He beat him up and then rubbed his entire body with honey. not too long after, a hive of honeybees came and stung the slave to death. After he died they sawed off his right hand and put a hook in the bloody stump that was once the hand he caressed his love with.
               Myth had it, that after the slave died; his spirit became evil and wanted revenge for the life and love he lost. As a result of his brutal murder; his spirit would kill anyone who went into the bathroom, looked in the mirror and stated the name " Candyman" five times. After you finished saying his name. You would turn off the lights and he would appear with bloody hook in place and slash your throat.  I remember as a child, I was sooo scared and horrified. When I used the bathroom, I would leave the door open, cause I was afraid this man would appear out of the shadows.
               As I became older, I realized that this was such a joke. First of all, I saw this actor who played "Candyman" in other horror movies. Also, I analyzed what he was wearing in this movie that scared me. This man that was slashing people's throats would wear a Brooks Brothers Suit, A big Fur coat, Pimp shoes with a bloody hook attatched to his arm. I think about it now and it cracks me up.
I used to see guys that looked like him where I grew up, just without the hook.
                         A lot of things I believed as a child, now has come to light.
The Tooth Fairy isn't really, The Easter Bunny, never brought me candy, and Santa Clause never
appeared to me in a red suit. However, one thing was real.... my imagination.

2 comments:

  1. Irene, was this the only scary movie that you had seen or the one that stayed with you the most? Seems like it made quite the impression

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this wasn't the only scary movie I'd ever scene. But definitely the one that I remember by detail and impacted me the most. After watching the movie I was scared as a child for a while, but the details in the movie such as the slavery stuff made me look into my own heritage and discover more about the slavery of African Americans. This horror film was horrifyiing lol but educational as I grew older.

    ReplyDelete